July 3, 2009

Making ends meet after a nuclear event

Stockpiling water, food, weapons, and ammo are all great things to help you survive the first few months or even the first year, but what about later? Depending on what kind of shape our country, or what's left of it, is in, and where you live, it might be a long time before any real aid comes along. What if it's two years before any aid gets to you and your family?

Did you choose to store seeds in your supplies? Great! Do you have enough seed, space, and knowledge to grow enough food to sustain your family and animals? This is my first year putting out a garden, and I chose to do it without machines. I did not spade a very big area, and only planted a little corn, tomatoes, and carrots. All of my plants are doing all right, but it made me realize how much work would be required to raise most of the food my family eats. And then there are the dogs, cats, chickens, and ducks.

And what about other skills? My current job brings in the money I need to pay my bills and buy supplies, but it won't help me in times of disasters. I will need a lot of skills to survive. To this end, I have bought several military, medical, and veternarian books. If I study these books every day, I will eventually have the skills and knowledge needed to protect and care for my family. I think this is something everyone should consider doing.

Another thing I've begun putting into practice is physical exercise, eating right, and getting enough sleep. I know, I know, I sound like your mother. But if you are in military shape, get proper nutrition and sleep, you will be much better prepared to handle emergencies of any kind. Plus, you'll live a longer, healthier life. I once read a study that side for every hour of moderate cardio, you will add 2 healthy hours to your life. To me, the trade off is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment